As a Nurse Anesthetist and a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist this is the area I specialize in and it works !!!!
Guided Imagery and Surgery -- Andrew Weil, MD
Tip of the Day 6/26/2010
Guided imagery is the practice of concentrating on vivid mental pictures - which may be evoked by a practitioner or by an audio recording - to promote healing. If you are considering or facing surgery, you may want to add guided imagery to your list of preparations. There is a growing body of compelling evidence for the supportive role of the mind-body connection to in facilitating healing, and guided imagery, in particular, may help augment the recovery process for surgical patients by:
1. Decreasing post surgical pain and the need for pain medication
2. Reducing the side effects and complications of surgery
3. Lessening stress and anxiety before and after procedures
4. Reducing recovery time
5. Improving sleep
6. Strengthening the immune system
7. Boosting self-confidence and self-control
If you wish to try guided imagery, consult an experienced practitioner about your challenges and goals. You may also choose to create and play personalized imagery CDs or MP3s both before and after surgery.